University of Michigan School of Information
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Office
You belong here!
Each member of the University of Michigan School of Information’s scholarly community comes from a distinctive background, making our school stronger and helping us to fulfill our mission of building a better world through technology and information.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Office (DEIO) serves this mission by working with UMSI leadership to provide opportunities for UMSI students, faculty, and staff to deeply engage in the rewarding and challenging DEI work of:
- Building Community
- Building Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) related skills & awareness and
- Building Equitable accountability structures, policies and practices
We believe this work ultimately leads to increased inclusion and diversity. Some of the activities and initiatives administered by the UMSI DEI Office include:
- Yearly celebrations such as Lunar New Year, MLK Symposium Event, iDEI talks
- DEI workshops
- Community Conversations
- Educational Outreach opportunities (K-14)
- Consultations with faculty, students & staff on DEI issues of concern
- A monthly DEI newsletter
- Yearly DEI Awards
- Yearly DEI Strategic planning, evaluation & progress report
- Guidance and advisement to faculty & staff on annual DEI goal setting (part of annual review & performance evaluations)
- Liaison to the central U-M Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (ODEI)
- Developing yearly charge for UMSI DEI Committee and working in consultation with them on DEI programming & initiatives
Feel free to contact us with questions or comments! You can email Devon Keen, Director of Inclusion, Equity, and Outreach at [email protected] or [email protected].