The UMSI Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Office (DEIO) offers two awards recognizing members of the UMSI community for contributions to UMSI's goals for advancing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) including efforts to build an anti-racist community. Both awards, detailed below, are open to current UMSI students, faculty members, post-doctoral fellows and staff members.
- Individual award recipients receive $500.
- Awards are announced on the UMSI website and recipient names are added to a DEI Award plaque.
Each fall and winter, the UMSI community is informed about these awards. Nominations are prompted in the spring, and award recipients are confirmed with input from members of the DEI Committee (if a member of the committee is nominated they are recused from the process).
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
The UMSI Award for Impact in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion may be given to up to three individuals or groups a year.
- Facilitate opportunities to bring people from different backgrounds in the school together
- Engage in advocacy and efforts to enact change in support of DEI whether as an individual, in a group, on a team or as part of a school or university committee or group
- Participate, create and publicize programs or events that support DEI efforts and goals
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to DEI in formal or informal leadership roles, administration, service, teaching and/or scholarship
- Demonstrate the use of scholarly and/or professional work to enhance the success of students, faculty and staff from underserved and minoritized communities
- Display commitment to valuing diversity, equity and inclusion above and beyond assigned job responsibilities
The UMSI Award for Impact in Gender Diversity in Information & Technology is given to 1-2 individuals or one group a year.
- Expand knowledge and opportunities for women, transgender people and/or non-binary people in information or information technology
- Positively influence the careers of women, transgender people and/or non-binary people in information and/or information technology
- Serve as an ally and/or advocate for the advancement of gender diversity at UMSI and/or in the field of information or information technology
- Provide mentorship to increase the awareness of the need for women, transgender people and/or non-binary people in information or information technology