The UMSI DEI Committee recognizes contributions to UMSI's goals for promoting diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) and advancing our DEI strategic plan with two awards.
The first award is the UMSI Award for Impact in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, which may be earned by up to three individuals or groups a year.
- Facilitating opportunities to bring people from different backgrounds in the school together
- Participating, creating, and publicizing programs or events that promote diversity awareness
- Demonstrating a high level of commitment to diversity in service, teaching, and scholarship
- Demonstrating the use of scholarly and/or creative work to enhance the success of students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds
- Displaying commitment to valuing diversity, equity and inclusion above and beyond assigned job responsibilities
The second award is the UMSI Award for Impact in Gender Diversity in Information & Technology, which is given to one individual a year. Both are open to current UMSI students, faculty and staff.
- Expanding knowledge about and/or opportunities for women, transgender people and gender non-conforming people in information and technology settings including UMSI
- Positively influencing the careers of women, transgender people and gender non-conforming people in information and technology
- Serving as an ally for the advancement of gender diversity in information and technology settings
- Providing mentorship to increase the awareness of the need for women, transgender people and gender non-conforming people in information and technology
Award recipients receive $500 and are announced on the UMSI website. Recipient names are also added to a DEI Award plaque.
Each fall the UMSI DEI Committee informs the UMSI community about these awards. For more information about nominating individuals or groups for these awards, UMSI students, faculty and staff can visit the guidelines posted on the UMSI Intranet.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.