The UMSI Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) together with the UMSI DEI Committee are pleased to announce the continued availability of funding to support individual and group DEI efforts in the coming year. UMSI DEI Funding is intended to support activities, events, programs, or professional development that further our collective understanding of and attention to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We thus ask funding recipients to share a report that includes any learning outcomes, resources or tools that might benefit the UMSI community and/or larger university community. We are especially interested in funding efforts that advance efforts to dismantle systemic racism and address inequities impacting any and all underrepresented groups.
The UMSI DEI Funding may be used for:
- Speaker or facilitator fees/honorariums (subject to approval given current constraints on hiring external vendors)
- Conference or webinar attendance or other training opportunities to support individual learning and professional development
- Conference attendance to support networking and career development focusing on members of underrepresented groups or identities
- Refreshments or meals (when these become allowable given social distancing guidelines)
- Supplies, materials, resources or equipment
- Other expenses that support the stated activity
* Regarding conference funding: due to University travel restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only funding registration expenses related to participation in virtual conferences.
Requests for funding should be made well in advance, ideally 4-6 weeks before your activity or event will take place. Funding requests will be reviewed and decided by Devon Keen, Chris Kurian and Judy Schabel in consultation with the DEI Committee. The committee will provide an initial response within 7 days, and a decision within 14 days of receiving the request.