UMSI COVID-19 Updates and Resources
For official information and news on COVID-19, please visit the following sites:
- U-M Campus Maize & Blueprint This is the university's COVID-19 information hub.
- ResponsiBLUE. The U-M health screening, required daily before entering any U-M facility.
- U-M COVID-19 Dashboard
- Public Health Community Notices
- U-M School of Public Health Coronavirus Information and Updates
- U-M Human Resources COVID-19 Information for Faculty and Staff
- Washtenaw County COVID-19 Information and Updates
- State of Michigan COVID-19 Information and Updates
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - COVID-19 Information and Updates
It is normal to feel some anxiety and stress during this time, whether you are a student, a staff member or a faculty member. It is important to actively engage in self-care and stress reduction. If your level of stress and anxiety is interfering with your daily functioning, regular sleep, etc., please reach out for additional support. The resources below support well-being and offer assistance with a range of issues and concerns including emotional, physical, financial and more.
- U-M Student Life Well-being Guide for Students: Stress reduction tools, virtual well-being events, directory of support resources
- First Generation Student Resources during COVID-19: Academic support, wellness, housing, financial and social support
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) COVID-19 Update: Individual and group counseling and consultation services
- Rackham Resources for Graduate Students during COVID-19: Academic policies, research and scholarship, programming and financial support
- U-M Human Resources Guide to Well-Being During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mental, emotional, physical, and financial support resources
- MHealthy Resource Coach for Financial Challenges: Consultation and assistance with housing, utilities, child/eldercare, debt/budgeting, community services, food and nutrition
- Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office: Individual and group counseling and consultation services
Important note: If you are in crisis, please call the Psychiatric Emergency Room at University of Michigan at (734) 936-5900 or dial 911. Students can also seek Crisis Support through the U-M CAPS Office.
UMSI COVID-19 Community Help Network
The UMSI Community Help Network offers a network of support and help to members of our community, including students, staff and faculty. While you should continue to rely on existing support (for example, students connecting with OASA advisors for academic advising, emergency loan requests, etc.), UMSI students, staff and faculty can use this form to request help or offer help as a member of the UMSI community. Through the form, you can confidentially share a need or request help with special challenges you are facing due to the pandemic, such as information, resources, support, or assistance. You can use the same form to share ways you are able to help others in the community.
Services and support are available to all current students, including academic advising, mental health services, emergency funding, online learning support and more.
UMSI Office of Academic and Student Affairs
If you need help or aren’t sure where to start, contact the UMSI Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For announcements and resources, see degree program-specific Canvas sites (BSI, MHI, MSI, PhD) for residential programs, including a module on each site titled, “Virtual Resources and Support During COVID-19” which includes this student resource guide among other resources.
- Academic advising appointments can be made through iTrack.
- For course registration or enrollment questions, email email@example.com.
Career Development Services
The Career Development Office (CDO) is happy to continue to offer full services and support to all UMSI students virtually, with some in-person options at this time.
- Career advising appointments will be offered virtually, with in-person options by request. Career advising will be offered through virtual drop-ins every week, as well as scheduled appointments. Students can schedule appointments through iTrack.
- All CDO Programs/Workshops will be offered virtually to allow for equitable and flexible access for all students to participate. Sign up for CDO Workshops/Programs in iTrack. All programs/workshops will be recorded and made available to all UMSI students.
- Employer engagement, campus recruiting and career fairs will continue to be virtual at this time. Students can sign up for all campus recruiting activities through iTrack.
- CDO resources can be found in the CDO Canvas Site.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, assistance and/or urgent matters.
Engaged Learning Programs and Co-curricular Projects
For information or guidance on on-going programs, course and co-curricular projects, please email the Engaged Learning Office (ELO) at email@example.com.
The Engaged Learning Office plans to offer all regular programs, events, and services for the coming academic year. Fall programming will be virtual, with opportunities for in-person situations that are suitable for small groups and outside venues.
ELO staff members are available for individual consultation appointments through iTrack.
The School of Information maintains our commitment to supporting students who may be impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak and this commitment extends to prospective and admitted students. Admissions staff and current students are available to advise prospective and admitted students, understanding that the current situation is creating unexpected challenges for many people. We are working to ensure the safety and well-being of students, staff and faculty while continuing to provide important resources, updates, and support as you consider joining the UMSI community. Please look here for details on our programs and admissions contact information.
UMSI faculty instructors and Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) can find information and guidance for remote instruction, technical support and more via the UMSI Teaching Resources Canvas site.
During this time, University of Michigan and UMSI continue to support research and scholarship activity. U-M Researchers are involved in studying many aspects of the pandemic and funding is available to further this work. UMSI research administration and U-M research support units remain operational. Visit the following links to learn more:
Recruit students for jobs and internships
While U-M operations and most students will be back on campus this fall, the UMSI Career Development Office (CDO) will continue to offer virtual campus recruiting for our employers for the Fall 2021 semester. We certainly learned from this past year that virtual recruiting is productive and cost-effective for all of our employers, as well as provides greater equity and access to all UMSI students through safe and healthy recruitment practices.
Let us help you meet your recruiting needs! Through information sessions, interviews, resume books, office hours and more, you can design a recruiting plan that will help you engage with and recruit top student talent, fast! Submit a request for campus recruiting activities by completing this form.
Contact the CDO with any of your recruiting needs, or to set up a recruiting strategy consultation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host student projects
Organizations, U-M departments, alumni and others are welcome to learn about fall project opportunities at umsi.info/clientopportunities. To set up a time to discuss opportunities to host or mentor a student project, please email email@example.com.
Career support for alumni
Some alumni may be experiencing their own job concerns as executive orders affect businesses and essential work. Through the Alumni Association, the university offers resources to help with job support, including best practices for working remotely and career development webinars. Visit alumni.umich.edu/career.
Support UMSI Students
Philanthropic support plays a vital role in the lives of UMSI students—from providing scholarship and internship support, to assisting students facing emergency financial needs. For those who are able, UMSI welcomes and appreciates your contributions to our diverse and amazing people and programs. Make an impact today by giving here.