UMSI diversity committee funding request
The UMSI Diversity Committee actively works to increase the diversity of our school and to make it a welcoming environment for everyone acknowledging that we all have unique identities. The committee provides encouragement to the UMSI community through financial support of individual and school-wide efforts to enact diversity goals in form of events, experiences, trainings, and other related programs.
Funding requests can be made by individuals or groups within the UMSI Community (students, staff, and faculty). Funding can also be used towards collaborative efforts between UMSI and one or more other UM group, department, or unit.
If you have questions or concerns about your request, please contact the UMSI Diversity Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UMSI Diversity Committee Funding is intended to support activities, events, programs, or initiatives that support diversity, equity, and inclusion that benefit the UMSI community and/or the larger UM community*. These include but not limited to: education, outreach, community building, resources or tools. Events or activities are expected to be held within or near North Quad when possible.
The UMSI Diversity Committee Funding may be used for:
- Speaker or facilitator fees/honorariums, travel expenses, etc.
- Conference attendance or training opportunities
- Refreshments or meals
- Supplies or equipment
- Other expenses that support the stated activity
Funding requests that include travel must be submitted on an individual basis. Joint or group travel requests will not be approved.
Examples of approved funding requests in the past include:
- Clarence Wardell, Digital Services Expert, US Digital Service at the White House - Talk on Police Data Initiative (Scott TenBrink, Citizen Interaction Design) $900
- Erin Teague, Director of Product Manager at Google Women in Information series speaker (Career Development Office) $2,000
- Sammus in Performance (Mariama Weaver, Multicultural Information Exchange & Information Alliance for Community Development student organizations), $2500
- "Building UMSI Presence at Grace Hopper Technology Conference (Paul Resnick and Office of Student Affairs) $6,000, supporting 5 students’ attendance
- “Keeping it Real, Tell Us How You Feel” Student Event, Multi Ethnic Information Exchange (Maggie Davidson) $100
- Michigan Challenge Experience on diverse teams for Research Experience for Master's Students (Beth Yakel and Veronica Falandino) $150
- UM Intergroup Relations (IGR) - CommonGround Curriculum Advance Workshop on inclusion and identity (Allison Sweet, Office of Student Affairs) $500
- Queer Internet Studies Workshop attendance (QIS) in Philadelphia (Jean Hardy) $550
If you or an organization is co-sponsoring with other schools or organizations across UM campus please specify. If you are collaborating with other schools or organizations across UM campus, there may be other resources available that you can pursue so that we may fund as many requests as possible.
Requests for funding should be made well in advance, ideally four to six weeks before your activity or event will take place. Requests for travel support that include airfare will not be considered less than four weeks in advance. Funding requests will be reviewed and decided by members of the Diversity Committee. Consideration of other sources of funding should be first considered before pursuing Diversity Committee Funding to allow for the budget to be maximized. If you are a graduate student and are presenting at the conference for which you seek funding, funding may be available to you through the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions. To find out fill out their Travel Grants Request Form. The committee will provide an initial response and/or a decision within 14 days of receiving the request.
Post event evaluation
After the event, please provide the UMSI Diversity Committee with a brief report of:
- What you did to promote the event
- Who attended the event (with an emphasis on participation from UMSI)
- Any lessons about organizing the event you think we could learn from
Following your event or experience, you will be asked to submit a summary of your experience. Additionally, Receipts will be required to confirm use of funds and all UMSI and University policies will be followed for the use of funding and expense report process.
Other funding opportunities at the School of Information and the University of Michigan:
MCompass funding opportunities (over 50 funding opportunities available)