Fee waiver eligibility
The School of Information recognizes and offers a number of application fee waivers. Applicants must submit an online application to request a fee waiver. In the application, applicants shall indicate which fee waiver they are eligible for and shall submit proper verification. Applications lacking proper documentation will not be processed until documentation is received.
PhD applicants should review Rackham’s website for fee waiver eligibility and School of Information specific waivers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information if you plan to use a fee waiver.
MSI and MADS
MSI and MADS applicants may be qualified for fee waivers by providing proof of one of the following: Membership in one of the programs below OR an undergraduate student with financial need.
1. Membership with one of the following programs:
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation -- Summer Research Opportunity Programs (CIC)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- Project 1000
- Current Full-time Volunteer (e.g., Vista/Peace Corps or AmeriCorps volunteer)
- Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs)
- AmeriCorps alumni
- Completion of the Coursera Python Specialization
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Post-baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)
- Latin American Scholarship Programs of American Universities (LASPAU)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- U-M Exchange Program -- University of Freiburg in Germany and University of Seville in Spain
- i3 Scholars
- GEM Fellow
- A UMSI Readmit or Non-Candidate for Degree applicant
Instructions: If you are a member of one of the above organizations, you will be required to upload proof of eligibility with your online application. This could be a letter of verification of participation or a note from you stating that you are a Readmit or Non-Candidate for Degree applicant.
2. Undergraduate Student with financial need:
A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States (with a registration number).
An Undergraduate College Senior receiving financial aid at an institution in the United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. territory.
Status as a dependent with a parental contribution of not more than $900.00 and no personal contribution during the senior year.
Status as self supporting with a personal contribution of not more than $1,200 during the senior year and received no parental funds.
Instructions: If you are an undergraduate senior who has qualified based on the conditions above, you will need to apply before you submit your application to avoid delays in receiving a response to your request.
- Complete the top section of the Need-Based Fee Waiver Application.
- Send the form to your Undergraduate Financial Aid Office.
- Your Financial Aid Office completes the bottom section of the form and faxes or emails the form to the School of Information for review.
- The School of Information will review the official documents and contact applicants by e-mail.
- The e-mail will include notice of the final decision. If approved, upload a copy of the e-mail or the signed form with your application. If denied, payment by credit card is required at the time you submit your online application.
Policies related to fee waivers:
- If students pay the application fee, it will not be refunded even if they are approved for the fee waiver.
- Fee waivers are provided with approval for the School of Information ONLY.
- One fee waiver is allowed per applicant