U-M and federal financial aid resources

Resources at the University of Michigan

The U-M Office of Financial Aid provides assistance and resources for questions around financial aid, including types of aid available, a guide for graduate students, and other resources.

The U-M Office of Financial Aid is a source for information on the U-M Tuition Payment Plan and how to pay your tuition bill.


If you are interested in federal support for your school and living expenses, you will use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The FAFSA offers access to three types of federal student aid: grants, loans, and work-study.  


Loan forgiveness programs

There are a number of loan forgiveness programs, particularly if you pursue work in public service.  Some of these programs are listed below, and we encourage you to search for others that might fit your circumstances.  It's important to remember that these programs affect certain kinds of loans, and consolidation may affect your eligibility, so be sure to seek assistance when considering consolidation to make sure you are not disqualifying yourself from thousands of dollars in aid.


Veteran and service member programs

The U-M Student Veterans Assistance Program can help familiarize you with the support available for student veterans and active service members, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill and other programs and well as the Yellow Ribbon Program.