MSI academic advising
Academic advising for MSI students is provided by both faculty and staff. It is very important that students take responsibility for their academic planning and meet regularly with their advisors to develop ongoing advisory relationships.
The mission of MSI academic advising is to:
- Provide accurate information regarding academic options, policies, requirements, and procedures
- Assist students in defining, developing, and reaching your academic goals
- Enhance students' graduate school academic experience
Staff advising for MSI students
Advisors work to provide students with guidance on course options and academic planning, as well as academic requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Conduct graduation audits
- Provide support and referral to campus services for a wide range of issues and concerns
- Provide information and guidance on UMSI and university resources and administrative processes
- Advise students regarding strategies and sources for funding and financial aid
Request an academic advising appointment online through the UMSI Advising Calendar.
Faculty advising for MSI students -- An open advising system
Due to the diverse interests of MSI students and the interdisciplinary nature of the MSI program, UMSI has an open faculty advising system for master's students.
During new-student orientation, students meet with temporarily assigned faculty advisors. After orientation, students are free to see whichever faculty advisor(s) they would like, either by appointment, during office hours, or during the pre-registration advising period each fall and winter term.
To determine which faculty member(s) to see for advising, review the listing of UMSI faculty to learn which classes they teach, their specialization affiliation, and their research interests. Or ask a staff advisor for a recommendation based on your areas of interest.
UMSI faculty advisors can provide:
- One-on-one mentoring
- Field-specific insights
- Guidance on course selection and academic planning
- Suggestions for improving or enhancing your academic performance
- Information on their research activities
- Once you have established an advising relationship, faculty may be able to serve as a reference when you apply for scholarships, internships, or jobs.
UMSI pre-registration faculty advising
Students may schedule a faculty advising session at any point in the term simply by sending an e-mail message to the faculty advisor requesting an appointment. Faculty e-mail addresses are available in the UMSI faculty directory.
Each fall and winter term, UMSI offers an additional, structured period of advising to facilitate students' planning for the following term. During the two weeks prior to the start of online registration for the following term, students will have access to an online scheduling tool to sign up for a 20-minute advising session with one or more faculty members.
For additional information and services related to academic advising, please visit MSI Links in the Intranet.