PhD degree requirements
To receive the doctoral degree from the School of Information, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete all course requirements as stipulated by the school
- Complete total of 24 hours of coursework: 12 credits of methods, 12 credits of theory, and at least 4 credits of cognate (can double count with method or theory).
- Successfully complete a pre-candidacy research project
- Pass the field preliminary examination
- Complete the school's teaching requirement
- Successfully defend a dissertation proposal before the Dissertation Committee
- Meet the residency and fee requirements of the Horace H. Rackham Graduate School
- Obtain dissertation approval from the Dissertation Committee and the Graduate School, and successfully defend the dissertation before the Dissertation Committee
Length of Study
All doctoral students must be enrolled on a full-time basis. While the amount of time to degree may vary, the program requires a minimum of three years of full-time study. Four to five years is more typical. The maximum time to complete the degree is seven years from first enrollment.