Alternative Fall Break
Proposal open date: June 1
Proposal close date: September 1
Project timeline: Not offered in Fall 2021
Project duration: 2 days
Number of projects needed: 3-5
During Alternative Fall Break, students from the Master of Science in Information, Master of Health Informatics and Bachelor of Science in Information programs volunteer and work on short-term projects over the course of two days.
- Deliverables will vary by project and are based on the client needs and project scope. Examples may include:
- Plan for implementing an advisory group in a public library
- Small digital gallery
- User research report and presentation
- Data analysis on small or less complex data sets
- Final presentation
- Level of engagement for course/program
- Daily feedback and communication to student team during the project
- Provide access to users or data prior to project start
- Attend final presentation
- Complete project evaluation
- Special requirements for the course/program
- Projects must be at a professional level
- Be a public organization (non-profit, governmental, educational or cultural)
- Project can be completed in two days
- Small student teams will arrive onsite and work on the project on Monday and Tuesday of the Fall Break dates and will present their findings to you on day 2. UMSI will work with you to scope the project to fit into this timeline.
- Clients should be flexible with project outcomes due to the short timeline.
- Reimagining the Library Using Shipping Containers. Students partnered with the Detroit Public Library Foundation to reimagine how city residents could engage with their neighborhood library branch by using upcycled shipping containers to create library branch extensions.
- Data Driven Detroit
- Detroit Public Library Foundation
Engaged Learning Office | email@example.com | (734) 763-1251
Please complete this form to submit a project proposal for one of our client-based courses or other programs, or to receive information about these opportunities throughout the year.