External Transfer Students for the BSI
University of Michigan School of Information External Transfer Admissions Requirements
The Bachelor of Science in Information (BSI) is an upper‐level academic unit at the University of Michigan. Students join our program for their final two years of their four‐year degree. Students must have a minimum of 54 transferable credit hours prior to term of enrollment in the School of Information. Most students transfer from within the University of Michigan, while others will transfer from external institutions.
External transfer admissions applicants will submit the Common Application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website: https://admissions.umich.edu/
Applications for Fall 2018 will open on August 1, 2017. The application deadline external transfer admissions is February 1, 2018.
Interested in the BSI? Don't forget to sign up on our interest list! Join now
Writing and Supplemental Materials
Four (4) required U‐M essays:
- Please provide a statement that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve. (250‐650 words)
- If you could only do one of the activities you have listed in the Activities section of your Common Application, which one would you keep doing? Why? (Approximately 100 words)
- Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)
- Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)
Professional resume (including relevant internships, work experience and/or projects related to the field of Information)
List all of the applicable prerequisite courses required for admission, with course descriptions
One letter of recommendation from instructor (preferably from one of the required prerequisites)
Transcripts and test scores
Official transcript from your high school or GED
Official transcripts from all post‐secondary institutions
Test scores, if applicable (more information at: https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/transfer-students/requirements-deadlines-0 )
Before beginning the BSI program junior year, applicants must complete the following required prerequisite courses (preferably before submitting the application), and a minimum of 54 transferable credit hours. These courses must have a grade of C or better to be considered. The School of Information does not accept transfer students directly from institutions located outside of the U.S.
- Introduction to computer programming course (Python preferred) equivalent to the University of Michigan’s courses: SI 106 (preferred), ENGR 101, or EECS 183
- First‐Year Writing course equivalent to the University of Michigan’s courses that meet the first‐year writing requirement: http://lsa.umich.edu/sweetland/undergraduates/first‐year‐writing‐requirement/transfer‐courses.html
- Introduction to Statistics course equivalent to the University of Michigan’s course, STATS 250
Note: Please reference the UM Transfer Credit Equivalencies database for more information about transferrable credits to U-M (http://www.ugadmiss.umich.edu/TCE/Public/CT_TCESearch.aspx).