External Transfer Students for the BSI
University of Michigan School of Information External Transfer Admissions Requirements
The Bachelor of Science in Information (BSI) degree is a two-year residential undergraduate program. Students join our program for the final two years of their four‐year degree. Students must have a minimum of 54 transferable credit hours prior to term of enrollment in the School of Information.
Please note that the School of Information reviews all completed applications and makes all admissions decisions.
External transfer admissions applicants will submit the Common Application (https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/transfer-students) or Coaltion Application (http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/) through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website. The School of Information does not accept transfer students directly from institutions located outside of the U.S.
Applications for Fall 2018 opened on August 1, 2017. The application deadline for external transfer admissions is March 1, 2018.
Interested in the BSI? Don't forget to sign up on our interest list! Join now
Want to learn more about the BSI program and our admissions process? Visit us.
Before beginning the BSI program junior year, applicants must complete or be in the process of completing the following required prerequisite courses, and a minimum of 54 transferable credit hours. Please contact us at email@example.com to receive a list of transferable prerequisites at your institution. These courses must have a grade of C or better to be considered. The School of Information does not accept transfer students directly from institutions located outside of the U.S.
- Introduction to computer programming course (Python preferred) similar/equivalent to the University of Michigan’s courses: SI 106 (preferred), ENGR 101, or EECS 183
- First-year writing course similar/equivalent to the University of Michigan’s courses that meet the first-year writing requirement: http://lsa.umich.edu/sweetland/undergraduates/first-year-writing-require...
- Introduction to Statistics course similar/equivalent to the University of Michigan’s course, STATS 250
Note: While the School of Information does a secondary evaluation of your transfer credits, please reference the UM Transfer Credit Equivalencies database for more information about transferrable credits to U-M (http://www.ugadmiss.umich.edu/TCE/Public/CT_TCESearch.aspx). Important: The UM database does not currently list any SI transferrable credits. You will need to consult UMSI staff for a full credit evaluation by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing and Supplemental Materials
- Four (4) required U‐M essays:
- Please provide a statement that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve. (250‐650 words)
- If you could only do one of the activities you have listed in the Activities section of your Common Application, which one would you keep doing? Why? (Approximately 100 words)
- Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)
- Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)
- Professional resume (including relevant internships, work experience and/or projects related to the field of Information)
- List all of the applicable prerequisite courses required for admission, with course descriptions
- One letter of recommendation from instructor (preferably from one of the required prerequisites)
Transcripts and test scores
- Official transcript from your high school or GED
- Official transcripts from all post‐secondary institutions
- Test scores, if applicable (more information at: https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/transfer-students/requirements-deadlines-0 )