Community College Summer Institute (CCSI)
The University of Michigan Community College Summer Institute (CCSI) offers Michigan Community College students a fully funded opportunity (including housing and a $100 stipend) to learn about the career and academic opportunities available to those pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Information degree (BSI) and explore the University of Michigan campus. The next institute will take place May 19-21, 2019.
A Bachelor of Science in Information is ideal for anyone interested in exploring how technology can be used to create digital solutions that improve lives. The curriculum develops both hard and soft skills, from coding to communication to collaboration.
100% of our graduates go on to great careers with average starting salaries of $69,000 (up from $61,000 in 2015). BSI graduates are employed at places like Ford Motor Company, General Electric, Google, Lowe’s and Yahoo.
Length of time needed to complete the application: About 20 minutes (you will also be able to edit your application after submitting)
Information needed to complete the application:
- Name and email address of advisor or faculty member who will providing a reference for you
- PDF files of unofficial transcripts from current and previous institutions
- Answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in attending the Community College Summer Institute (CCSI)? What was it about what you read in the brochure or on the website that caught your attention? (75-100 words)
- In your opinion, what is a recent world event in which digital technology has played a significant role? How did you hear about this event? Why do you think it is significant? (200-300 words)
Who should apply? Current Michigan Community College Students curious about the University of Michigan School of Information and the study of “Information”
- Must be 18 or older by the start of the Institute
- Preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
- Interest in transferring to an undergraduate academic institution in the future
- Able to participate full-time in activities in Ann Arbor, Michigan for the duration of the 3-day Institute
- Must be a high school graduate
The institute includes:
- All meals
- Housing in North Quad residence hall
- Transportation support
- Social events and/or activities
- Application fee waiver for those who apply to the BSI program
- Priority consideration for direct admission to the School of Information's Bachelor of Science in Information (BSI) program (upon successful completion of required prerequisite courses)
- Consultation with our admissions team, including an application workshop and on-going one-on-one advising both during and after the Institute
- Professional development including strength-based career coaching and professional headshot
- Financial aid advising
- Official transfer readiness certificate from the Office of Student Affairs
- Introduction to academic and career opportunities in Social Media, Information Analysis, and User Experience Design
- Students who have already received a bachelor's degree will not be eligible to apply.
- Students who have been already admitted to U-M-Ann Arbor for Winter 2018 or Fall 2018, are encouraged to contact us directly to learn about our cross campus transfer program
What 2017 participants had to say after the institute:
- “CCSI was amazing because of the staff and their positive energy. In a world of negativity, the UMSI staff definitely has an amazing group of people who care for you as a human being. Thank you, guys. I will remember your kindness.“
- “... U-M faculty are welcoming, friendly and excited to help community college students."
- “When you try new things you discover new passions.”
- “The most valuable part for me was realizing that despite previous setbacks, a place with U of M is still a possibility.”
- “Talking with UMSI staff and getting a up-close feel for the school itself... helped me envision being a U of M student and made me excited for a future with U of M.”
For more information: