UMSI Service Day
What is Service Day?
UMSI Service Day is a one-day event each January on the Saturday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day weekend. The entire UMSI community is invited to reach out to non-profit organizations around the Ann Arbor area, assisting in service projects for participating organizations. These projects levy a wide range of skills from the UMSI community, from painting and archiving to cleaning and quick usability analysis. It's a fun and exciting event, and we need YOU to make it happen!
A keynote speech will be presented during lunch (which will be provided) between 12 and 1 pm for both morning and afternoon volunteers.
The entire UMSI community is welcome to participate.
If you have some work that needs to get done, and can be done in a three to four hour shift by a small to large group, it will work for our Day of Service. Individual projects are welcome also, but we prefer to send at least two or three participants together in a group. Participants volunteer their service by working in two shifts - one before lunch and one after lunch.
Please fill out this form to indicate interest and submit a potential project idea.
Role 1: Planning Committee Member
- Planning and logistics associated with the event
- Inviting organizations around Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti to participate in UMSI Service as a host site
- Serving as a liaison between partner organizations and Site Leaders to communicate service needs
- Identifying and inviting a keynote speaker for the day of the event
Role 2: Site Leader
- Coordinating a team of students, faculty, and staff at one particular location for the entire Service Day, including organizing transportation and understanding and communicating project needs
- Serving as a point person and team leader between a partner organization and UMSI teams