Fee waiver information
Need Based Fee Waivers
Requirements for Eligibility
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- An enrolled/current undergraduate college senior or graduate student currently receiving financial aid from an institution in the United States, Puerto Rico or U.S. territory.
- Estimated family contribution (EFC) listed on the Student Aid Report (SAR) is less than $1,500. The Student Aid Report is provided after the FAFSA is submitted.
Additional Fee Waivers
Requirements for Eligibility
Applicants may be eligible for an application fee waiver based on membership, affiliation, or completion of one of the following:
University of Michigan and School of Information Affiliations
- University of Michigan Blavin Scholars
- U-M Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health (CFPH) alumni or on track to complete certificate before admitting term begins
- U-M Exchange Program -- University of Freiburg in Germany and University of Seville in Spain
- U-M Future Public Health Leaders Program (FPHLP) alumni
- Michigan Humanities Emerging Research Scholars
- U-M SPH Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) alumni
- Completion of Eligible Coursera Specializations: Public Library Management, Python 3 Programming, Python for Everybody: Specialization
- University of Michigan staff member
- A UMSI Readmit or Non-Candidate for Degree (NCFD) applicant
- Current University of Michigan masters students seeking to add a dual degree with UMSI
- Active members and veterans of the U.S. Military
- Alumni or Current Full-time Volunteer (Vista/PeaceCorps, AmeriCorps, Teach for America)
- Public Policy and International Affairs Junior Institute (PPIA)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
Professional and Academic Affiliations
- i3 Scholars
- GEM Fellow
- Post-baccalaureate Research and Education Committee on Institutional Cooperation Summer Research Opportunity Programs (CIC)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- Graduate or current student of a Minority Serving Institution (such as an HBCU, Hispanic Serving Institution, Tribal College or University or Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution)
- Latin American Scholarship Programs of American Universities (LASPAU)
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Project 1000
- Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)
- Drew Scholar
- Leadership Alliance
Instructions (Please read all instructions below)
Applicants must apply for a waiver before submitting the application. All requests must be submitted no more than 72 hours (3 days) before the application deadline. We encourage applicants to request your fee waiver as soon as possible after starting the application to ensure you receive your fee waiver code/document prior to the deadline; we are unable to refund an application fee if you submit before receiving confirmation of your waiver.
STEP 1: Complete the UMSI Fee Waiver Request Form. You will be asked to provide:
- For Need Based Fee Waivers: A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) page one only. This is provided after submitting your FAFSA and can be obtained by using the FSA ID number and choosing Student Aid Report (SAR); some may have access through a student portal at their school/college.
- For All Other Waivers: Proof of membership, certificate of completion or other documentation that indicates you meet the eligibility for a fee waiver.
STEP 2: The School of Information will review your Fee Waiver Request submission and notify you within 5-7 business days of your request.
- If approved, you will be contacted via email with instructions on how to use your fee waiver.
- If denied, payment by credit card is required to submit the online application.
**If you are an undocumented or DACAmented student, please reach out to the UMSI admissions office for more information about Fee Waivers at email@example.com.