Skip to main content

University of Michigan School of Information


F-1 visa holders

F-1 visa holders: CPT work authorization

F-1 students who complete two terms in their academic program at UMSI are eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization. CPT allows students to work off-campus and is most commonly used for internships. The Career Development Office works with BSI, MSI, MHI and PhD students through this process. For more information, review the U-M International Center website on CPT for students holding an F-1 visa.

F-1 visa holders: OPT work authorization

Students with an F-1 visa are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization. OPT provides authorization for temporary employment directly related to a student’s field of study. The standard period of OPT is 12 months. Typically UMSI students apply for OPT in order to work full-time after completing their degree program. Students will need to work closely with the U-M International Center to learn about applying for OPT, as well as complete all reporting requirements.

F-1 visa holders: STEM OPT work authorization extension

UMSI students in the BSI, MSI, MHI and PhD program are eligible to apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension. The STEM extension allows F-1 students to apply for 24 months of additional OPT work authorization, after using the initial 12-month OPT period. This results in UMSI graduates potentially receiving a total of 36 months of work authorization in the United States prior to requiring sponsorship. 

For more information about CPT, OPT and the OPT STEM Extension, visit the U-M International Center website.