Fee waiver information
You may be eligible for an application fee waiver if you qualify using the criteria below. For MSI students, there are two ways to qualify:
Show your membership in one of a variety of programs
Membership in one of these groups will earn you a fee waiver:
- Active duty or veteran service members
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation — Summer Research Opportunity Programs (CIC)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- Project 1000
- Current full-time volunteers (e.g., Vista/Peace Corps or AmeriCorps volunteer)
- Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs)
- AmeriCorps alumni
- Completion of Eligible Coursera Specializations: Python 3 or Python for Everybody
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Post-baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)
- Latin American Scholarship Programs of American Universities (LASPAU)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- U-M Exchange Program — University of Freiburg in Germany and University of Seville in Spain
- i3 Scholars
- GEM Fellow
- A UMSI readmit or Non-Candidate for Degree applicant
Demonstrate that you are an undergraduate student with financial need
You may also be eligible for a waiver if you were an undergraduate student with financial need. To qualify, you should be all of the following:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States (with a registration number)
- An undergraduate college senior receiving financial aid at an institution in the United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. territory
- A dependent with a parental contribution of not more than $900 and no personal contribution during the senior year; or status as self supporting with a personal contribution of not more than $1,200 during the senior year and received no parental funds
If you are an undergraduate senior with the qualifications above, you should apply for the waiver before you submit your application. That way, we can avoid delays in responding to your request.
Here’s the process:
- Complete the top section of the Need-Based Fee Waiver Application.
- Send the form to your Undergraduate Financial Aid Office.
- Your Financial Aid Office completes the bottom section of the form and faxes or emails the form to the School of Information for review.
- The School of Information will review the official documents and contact applicants by email.
- The email will include notice of the final decision. If approved, upload a copy of the email or the signed form with your application. If denied, payment by credit card is required at the time you submit your online application.
Important things to know about fee waivers
- Do not pay your application fee if you’re applying for a waiver! If you pay it, we can’t refund it, even if you’re later approved for a waiver.
- We can only approve fee waivers for the School of Information, not for other U-M schools and colleges.
- You may only successfully apply for a fee waiver once.
You can afford an MSI! Learn more about ways to reduce costs.