Skip to main content

University of Michigan School of Information


Independent study courses

The School of Information offers an independent study course option at the undergraduate (SI 491) and graduate level (SI 691). Typically an independent study involves writing a substantial research paper or conducting research.

The faculty member approves the specific number of credits the proposed work will qualify for, approves a reading list and meets with you periodically to discuss the reading and your overall progress.

An override is needed to register for an independent study. To obtain an override, the faculty member must email [email protected] to indicate his or her approval, indicating your name and the number of credits approved.

Typically a maximum of three independent study credits may be counted toward your degree. UMSI independent study courses are letter-graded unless you request pass/fail and the faculty member approves (this must be indicated in the faculty member’s request for your override).