Student life at UMSI
UMSI fosters a dynamic, inclusive and collaborative community. Many UMSI students are highly engaged in opportunities outside of the classroom that build skills, offer support and create lasting relationships. We at UMSI care about students’ overall well-being in addition to their academic and professional success.
UMSI hosts a variety of student organizations. Student organizations are a great way to learn new skills, meet other students and get involved in the broader University of Michigan and Ann Arbor community.
We also offer trainings and workshops to develop skills around leadership, social identity, intercultural engagement and group facilitation.
- UMSI student organizations
- Engaged learning programs and projects through the Engaged Learning Office
- Use this link to add the UMSI Student Events calendar to your Google calendar
- Center for Campus Involvement
- U-M Student Life
- First Semester Experience
- The First Semester Experience (FSE) is a seminar for first year doctoral students focused on the transition into doctoral student life.
- The UMSiSUCCESS Initiative (iSUCCESS for short) is a series of activities and programs designed to support BSI transfer students’ successful transition to the University of Michigan and School of Information. iSUCCESS focuses on cohort-building while providing space for transfer students to address the unique opportunities and challenges they encounter as students new to the University of Michigan.
- Leadership Series
- The Leadership Series offers students an opportunity to build leadership skills including facilitation strategies, social identity development and leadership as a professional.
Wellness at UMSI
We value wellness and understand the importance of students maintaining their physical and mental health throughout their time at UMSI. The Office of Student Affairs offers programming throughout each year to give students a chance to take a break and participate in some fun and stress-free activities.
North Quad reflection room
The University of Michigan School of Information and LSA offer students, faculty and staff a reflection room located in 1120 North Quad Building. The reflection room is for individuals wishing to engage in structured or unstructured reflection, which could include prayer or meditation. The room is drop-in only, no reservations.
Campus/university student life and wellness resources
- Spectrum Center
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center
- Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs
- Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives
- Recreational Sports Facilities
- Intramural sports
- Student Life Get Active website
- University Health Center
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Wolverine Wellness
The university’s Division of Public Safety and Security includes a full service law enforcement agency that patrols all campus buildings and grounds 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Ann Arbor and University of Michigan campus resources
Life in Ann Arbor provides resources for students, including information about housing, parking, transportation, entertainment and life in Ann Arbor.
Sign up for our interest list and receive:
- Invitations to exclusive information sessions and events
- The opportunity to chat with current students
- More in-depth information about our degree programs
- Tips and advice for creating a successful application
- Reminders for important deadlines