UMSI Community College Summer Institute
The Community College Summer Institute (CCSI) is moving online!
Register now to connect with students and faculty, get one-on-one support, and explore what the Bachelor of Science in Information (BSI) program has to offer!
Registration deadline: Rolling deadline through May 30, 2021
Institute dates: June 7-11, 2021
Institute location: Your home! Exclusive content brought directly to you!
Connect with us online, learn about UMSI and receive a stipend!
Everything is moving online to keep us all safe and that includes CCSI! We love community college transfer students at the University of Michigan School of Information (UMSI), and we want to make sure we don’t miss out on the opportunity to get to know you and share resources with you in fun, engaging ways, including information on what UMSI has to offer. Sometimes it can be hard to envision what it would be like to earn your four-year degree on U-M’s amazing campus. This program is your opportunity to experience it firsthand!
During the week, you will have a variety of activities and content to choose from. You’ll earn points for each activity!
Who should apply? Any current Michigan community college student curious about the University of Michigan School of Information and the study of information. We prefer students with a 3.0 GPA or better.
In order to register for CCSI, you must:
- Have an interest in transferring to an undergraduate academic institution in the future
- Be able to participate in online activities*
- Be a high school graduate or have earned a GED
*If you are unable to access or have difficulty accessing online content or participating in online forums we will work with you to identify alternative methods of participation
Registering is easy, just complete the registration form and we will be in touch with a participation survey and next step instructions.
“CCSI was amazing because of the staff and their positive energy. In a world of negativity, the UMSI staff definitely has an amazing group of people who care for you as a human being. Thank you, guys. I will remember your kindness."
“... U-M faculty are welcoming, friendly and excited to help community college students."
“When you try new things you discover new passions.”
“The most valuable part for me was realizing that despite previous setbacks, a place with U-M is still a possibility.”
“Talking with UMSI staff and getting an up-close feel for the school itself ... helped me envision being a U-M student and made me excited for a future with U-M."
- Application fee waiver if you decide to apply to the BSI program
- Priority consideration for direct admission to UMSI's Bachelor of Science in Information program (upon successful completion of required prerequisite courses)
- Consultation with our admissions team, including an application workshop and ongoing one-on-one advising both during and after the Institute
- Professional development including strength-based career coaching
- Financial aid advising
- Official transfer readiness certificate from the Office of Academic and Student Affairs
- Introduction to academic and career opportunities in information analysis and user experience design
A Bachelor of Science in Information is ideal for anyone interested in exploring how technology can be used to create digital solutions that improve lives. The curriculum develops both hard and soft skills, from coding to communication to collaboration.
Almost all (97%) of our graduates report going on to great careers with average starting salaries of $75,000. That’s up from $61,000 in 2015; this field is in high demand. BSI graduates work at Google, Ford Motor Company, General Electric, Lowe’s and Yahoo.