University of Michigan School of Information
Current University of Michigan undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to attend an information session during their freshman or sophomore year. If you have questions, we invite you to email [email protected].
Interested in the BSI? Don't forget to sign up for our interest list!
The Fall 2023 BSI Application is closed.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
Applicants must have at least Sophomore standing (25-54 credits) to apply and must reach Junior standing (55+ credits) to be eligible to start the program.
Applicants are required to take the following prerequisite courses and receive a grade of C- or better to be eligible for full admission and enrollment in the BSI program.
Preference will be given to applicants who have completed all prerequisite courses prior to submitting their application, however you may apply while enrolled in one or more of the prerequisite courses. We can’t accept AP credit toward prerequisite coursework.
- SI 110: Introduction to Information Studies (*Meets LSA Social Science (SS) Distribution Requirement*)
SI 106: Programs, Information, and People (*Meets LSA Math and Symbolic Analysis (MSA) Distribution Requirement*) (EECS 183 or ENGR 101 are also accepted, but SI 106 is strongly preferred)
- STATS 250: Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis (STATS 206, STATS 280, STATS 412, DATASCI 101 and TO 301 are also accepted)
- ENGLISH 124 or 125 (or equivalent first year writing course)
Note: you will be required to upload a copy of your unofficial transcript to the application. Please wait until your final grades for the fall term have been posted to upload your transcript and submit the application.
We want to learn more about you, so please have the following materials and information ready to go before starting your application:
Your education (any college)
Special accomplishments, including your high school years
Extracurricular activities (both relevant to the BSI or unique in nature)
Student leadership positions (including high school)
Skills (please include proficiency level)
Need help composing your resume? Please visit the U-M Career Center website for tips on writing and/or improving your resume, as well as sample resumes. The staff at the Career Center are also happy to meet with you and review your resume.
There are two essays. The following topic is required of all prospective students:
- Tell us something about your interests, goals or experiences that has made you interested in the BSI. Provide specific examples that highlight your best, most exceptional qualities; this could be a class experience, a hobby, an accomplishment or an issue of personal interest. (300-500 words)
Then, choose ONE topic from the list below:
Discuss in historical and contemporary context an issue at the intersection of information, technology and people that interests you. (300-500 words)
Discuss a recent world event in which digital technology has played a significant role. (300-500 words)
Given that we are continually adapting to new technologies and ways of sharing information, what do you think the field of information will look like in 10 years. (300-500 words)
Supplemental materials (optional)
If you did not have the opportunity to adequately highlight a significant talent, skill and/or ability in other areas of your application, you may submit supplemental materials with your application. Supplemental materials may include:
Video and audio recording(s)
Other information/pieces that you think may benefit your application
Note: If your supplemental material is a letter of recommendation, please have your recommender email the letter directly to [email protected] with the subject line "BSI Supplemental Materials: [Your Name]", and we will attach the letter to your application.
Sign up for our interest list and receive:
- Invitations to exclusive information sessions and events
- The opportunity to chat with current students
- More in-depth information about the BSI program
- Tips and advice for creating a successful application
- Reminders for important deadlines