Proposal open date: June 1
Proposal close date: Clients accepted on a rolling basis
Project timeline: Clients accepted on a rolling basis
Project duration: 2-3 hours
Number of projects needed: 5
Note: This program runs in both the fall and winter semester. Projects are being recruited for both terms.
Design Jams are action-packed, interactive, high-energy, half-day events in which students go from exploring a problem presented by a client partner to creating solutions in a short period of time. Clients provide guidance and perspective at every stage of the process as teams of students from the School of Information, College of Engineering, Law School and other University of Michigan degree programs work to prototype a potential solution.
These multi-disciplinary social impact design jams are co-hosted by the School of Information, College of Engineering Center for Socially Engaged Design (C-SED) and Law School Problem Solving Initiative (and sometimes other U-M units).
- Deliverables will vary by project and are based on the client needs and project scope. Examples may include:
- Sketches and low-fidelity prototypes
- Final presentation
- Level of engagement for course/program
- Willing to visit the event (in person or via video conferencing) for two to three hours to present information, answer questions and attend the final presentation
- Complete project evaluation
- Special requirements for the course/program
- Design Jam projects should be social impact related or community-based
- Design Jams can also be hosted by companies who wish to host design challenges for students as part of their recruitment process. For more information about design jams as a recruitment activity, please contact the UMSI Career Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Engaged Learning Office | email@example.com | (734) 763-1251
Please complete this form to submit a project proposal for one of our client-based courses or other programs, or to receive information about these opportunities throughout the year.